Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day Four - Virginia through and through

Day Four was supposed to be our most stress free day of the trip. We didn't pick a end destination and decided to just drive until we felt tired but the stress was definitely still there. First off, we slept in (well until 7 at least) and woke up to a great breakfast with the Hart Family in Brentwood, TN. It started raining at the beginning of breakfast and didn't let up until after we were on our the road. 

The night before we had decided to leave our roof bag on the roof because the neighborhood was safe and we were tired of taking it all off/on. Bad Idea! When we came out to the car at 9:30 am, I opened the door and was faced with soaking wet seats and damp cargo in the back. It was awful! I was horrified, I purchased this roof bag and even upgraded it so it could handle extreme weather and long distances, but of course that's not true at all. We believe the culprit was the straps that wrap through the inside ceiling to the top of the bag. From the leak pattern, it looked as if the strap soaked up all the water and transferred it through the break of seal in the door to the interior. 

And this isn't the worst of it, as we spent about 30 minutes soaking/covering up everything we could, I finished loading the bag on the wet car, and when I jumped to get off the roof... I fell. I landed on the wet concrete, sprained my ankle, and felt completely defeated. This was the icing on my cake and after getting in the car I had my first break down. It had been a very long week and all the rain just killed all hope for my extremely tired self. I was definitely ready to throw in the towel and give up when after an hour or so the rain gave up and my mom talked me through it. 

The next few hours of driving in Tennessee once the the rain gave up was beautiful! The trees were stunning and really helped change our moods!

The rest of the drive in Tennessee

The Virginia Border!

The only state we entered on this leg of the trip was Virginia. It was very uneventful and was full of trees, towns and most importantly traffic! I don't know why this was the case, but the last few states have had the most awful traffic accidents that end up closing down all the lanes (all 2 of them :)) on one side of the freeway. This caused all cars to stop dead in their tracks for over 30 minutes! Boring!!!!!!!

Us being bored in traffic!

One of many depressing signs!
Life is good! We arrived in Harrisonburg, Virginia at 8:00 pm and was greeted at the front desk with fresh cookies at our hotel. Now we have one bum shoulder, one sprained ankle, 4 more hours of driving, and the end in sight! Tomorrow I will be moving in to my new apartment and starting a new chapter of my life! Oh I can't wait to see what the future holds!

XO, KB

1 comment:

  1. Kels! I am so proud of you! Congrats on the new job and the move. This is such an exciting time in your life and I am so glad you are sharing it with all of us! I cant wait to hear all the other exciting stories.
    Sending my good thoughts and love your way!
    <3 Laura

    ReplyDelete